Wednesday, January 6, 2010

IT’S A BRAND NEW SPORTING YEAR

I figured since it’s a new year and the start of a new decade … I thought I’d be a little bit of a sporting Nostradamus and see how far my predictions will go.

It’s a brand new year and most athletes have had a well deserved break having spent a tiring season grueling it out in various weather conditions against various oppositions in various continents. The fans have been waiting patiently for their heroes to return to their arenas … well … all except football where a season runs between 2 years.

Let’s start with Formula 1 and the return of Michael Schumacher. Much is expected from the legendary German champion and much is expected of the team he races for (of which part of it is Malaysian owned). My prediction ? … he will NOT win the championship and Jensen Button made a terrible decision to switch teams. Who’s gonna win ? I say it’s either Hamilton or Vettel.

Moving on to football (or soccer as the “Yanks” like to call it). Who will win their respective leagues ? Barca in Spain, AC Milan in Italy and much as I hope Manchester United will win the league in England … I doubt they will be able to with Chelsea looking strong … the big question is … who will win the UEFA Champs League … my money is on AC Milan. Why ? I dunno … it’s a gut feeling.

2010 will also see the World Cup played in South Africa … let’s put in a prediction here as well … I say Italy. Why ? Gut feeling.

Let’s move on to tennis shall we ? While I’m writing this … I’m watching a Roger Federer match where he’s playing at the Qatar Open … a traditional warm-up to the Australian Open. New racquet … same dominance. I think he’ll win at least 2 Grand Slam trophies … and what about the other 2 ? It’s between 4 players … Novak Djokovic, Juan Martin Del Potro, Andy Murray and Nikolai Davydenko. Where’s Nadal you ask ? I think 2010 will be a torrid time for Nadal.

What’s everyone saying about the once invincible Rada Nadal ? Is it about his fitness ? Is it about his lack of match practice ? His family life maybe ? If you didn’t know … his parents divorced … he travels with his mum and girlfriend while he is still being coached by his Uncle Tony … who is his father’s brother. Tense ?! YOU BETCHA !!! But NO ! These aren’t the things that are being mentioned about Nadal … what are they muttering on about when the favorite son of Madrid walks on court ? The color of his outfit ! That’s right … way to get your priorities straight. Orange and pink are his colors of choice (apparently) this season … and while professional athletes are anal and superstitious about what they wear on court … let’s focus on more important matters please !

So NO ! I don’t think Rafa has a chance at winning any Grand Slam trophies this year. Could I be wrong ? Sure ! What happens if I’m right though ? What will happen to the already brittle confidence of the Spaniard then ?

Think my predictions are off by miles ? Tell me about your predictions and we’ll compare notes at the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment